The Stan Lee Foundation and Onyx Coffee Lab teamed up to create the first Official Stan Lee Signature Blend Coffee. This premium roast was crafted to celebrate Stan's life and support his foundation's vision (which he started in 2010) to provide hands-on experiential learning programs. All purchases support the Stan Lee Foundation!
SAVINGS: Buy 3+ and Get 20% Off
- COMPONENT 1: COLOMBIA APONTE VILLAGE
- COMPONENT 2: ETHIOPIA WORKA
- PROCESS: HONEY & WASHED
- ELEVATION: 1950 - 2100 METERS
Our approach to creating blends is a bit different at Onyx. Instead of choosing coffees from specific countries or regions that will, in theory, intertwine well to develop complex & cohesive flavors like most, we start from the end and work our way back. This perspective means we choose to create a particular flavor profile first - deciding which acidities, sugars, and fats we want to accentuate for the coffee. For the Stan Lee Signature Blend, we decided we would aim for those flavors that most represented what he enjoyed in a cup of joe- in this case, slight berry, baker's chocolate, raw honey, and sweet tea. With this profile set, we started tasting coffee blindly to find these specific attributes. With this specific blend, the honey processed Colombia gives us a syrupy, chocolatey, fermented fruit flavor. It shows itself up front and in the finish. Clean fermentation is the key to finding alternatively processed coffees such as honeys and naturals. Next, we add a washed, well developed Ethiopian coffee to add some complexity and to soften the mouthfeel. This blend is made up of Colombia Aponte Village and Ethiopia Worka. There is potential for the origins of the coffees making up this blend to change, but it will always be reflective of that initial flavor profile. Be excited for a consistent cup of coffee akin to what Stan Lee enjoyed himself!
Colombia Aponte Village: This is a Relationship Coffee we have been working with Pedro at Pergamino all year. He's been kind and talented enough to cup through an incredible amount of 8-12 bag micro-lots putting together this macro-lot. He then sent samples our way to approve and blend together, thus creating one lot from Aponte Village.
- We paid $3.30/lb for this coffee green, and we cupped it as an 86. In total, we bought one hundred and twenty 69kg GrainPro bags.
- We paid Royal NY to bring in the coffee.
- The Coffee Commodity purchase price was $1.21/lb when we purchased this coffee.
- The Fair Trade Coffee minimum price was $1.60/lb when we purchased this coffee.
The Ethiopia Worka came to us from a fellow roaster turned importer Eton, from Atlantic Coffee. We've known and respected Eton as the former roaster and green buyer for Temple Coffee for a long time. He's an incredibly genuine guy whose had a real talent for cupping and buying coffee for quite some time. We visited their lab in Oakland in the Winter and cupped this sample among fifty others and contracted it on the spot.
- We purchased one hundred 69 kilo bags at $3.78 per pound. We cupped this coffee as an 88 with plans to both release it and use it as the main blender component in Geometry for 2 months.
- We also added a $.20 premium per pound to send to the cooperative based on how good this coffee cupped.
We look forward to your review of the Stan Lee Signature Blend Coffee!